Friday, July 12, 2024

NGV x 2

A couple of recent visits:

Pharaoh

I've always been distantly intrigued by ancient Egypt. Probably a lot of it's down to western exoticisation, but still. When I think about the specific landmarks in my personal history, the number is very small and I couldn't say that all of them even particularly marked me: an early computer game that somehow made it on to my dad's work computer; Pratchett's Pyramids; a few different encounters at MONA and especially "Kryptos"; and most recently Kelly Link's "Valley of the Girls". Anyway, it was enough for me to visit this exhibition, which was - for me - mildly inherently intriguing and had a bit of a wow factor at times, but didn't leave much of an impression.

Grace Crowley & Ralph Balson

I wasn't really in the zone to absorb this one properly, though the colours were appealing and it was a bit interesting seeing the different modernist (abstract) art styles washing through their work over the decades.

Nina Sanadze

I liked these - monuments, sculpture, and public space.

Others

A bit of time in familiar galleries at both the NGV International and Australia, although the former is much more static. Time with those old friends: the Rothko and de Chirico especially. And a new one - Tim Maguire, "Light fall I-VIII" (2011), cropped, magnified images of flowers and fruit.