Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Like a Version Nine

I basically got this because of how great Haim's take on "Strong Enough" is, and it's a reminder of both the ubiquity - and importance - of triple j and the looseness of my own connection to it nowadays; amidst a handful of songs or artists that are familiar to me are a whole bunch that are not, including plenty where I've basically been lapped, having heard of neither the song being covered nor the act doing the covering.

Anyhow, there's some nice music on here and some that makes less of an impression. My favourites, apart from aforementioned "Strong Enough":
  • "Sweet Nothing" - Something For Kate (Calvin Harris feat Florence Welch cover)
  • "Get Free" - Hermitude feat Elana Stone - this one is especially ace ... a cover of a song by someone (or some outfit) called Major Lazer; google tells me the original featured Amber from Dirty Projectors)
  • "Pony" - Abbe May (as in Ginuwine - so maybe a bit of a novelty but still fun)
  • "Lost" - The Bamboos (so it turns out that I had heard a Frank Ocean song after all - this is a sweet song)