Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Escapism

Someone asked me to recommend some appropriate reading material for escapism during hotel downtime in an upcoming work trip; "GoT worked well last time". So voila.

Well how escapist do you want to go? The best epic fantasy series are GoT (or ASOIAF if you will), Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen (only problem is that book 1 is significantly less good than the 8 that come after it) and Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant Chronicles (nb very unlikeable main character and somewhat meta).

Another good one - bit more existential though - is Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series.

I assume I've tried to foist China Mieville on you in the past? Steampunky fantasy, v.g. The first one to read is Perdido Street Station.

Also, I haven't read it, but Lev Grossman's The Magicians keeps getting recommended - someone described it to me as a hipster fantasy novel.

In a slightly different vein, I very much enjoyed Justin Cronin's The Passage (post-apocalyptic vampires).

Or different again, for amusingly whimsical literary capers, I can't remember if you've read Jasper Fforde (start with the Thursday Next books and read in order, though again, the first - The Eyre Affair - is significantly less good than the rest).