Monday, February 18, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook

I was sceptical about the premise but then I saw the trailer, which made it look great, and the film lives up to the promise - I believed the characters, particularly, and most importantly, Bradley Cooper's Pat and Jennifer Lawrence's Tiffany (I haven't seen a lot of either actor, but both are excellent; De Niro also v.g. in this one), the latter a fairly unique variety of the MPDG, and I believed the way the film developed...it's a film that puts all the pieces together in the right way. It stays offbeat enough that I was carried along by it - it doesn't hurt that it's also very funny - meaning that I wasn't viewing the film through any kind of 'romantic comedy' lens, which in turn meant that the climax and happy ending felt both organic and satisfying, as formulaic as they might well have sounded if you'd seen them written down in advance.

(w/ Jade)