Saturday, February 09, 2013

How I Met Your Mother season 7

Maybe it says volumes about my state of mind, or maybe nothing at all, that having bought this yesterday evening, I've finished it less than 24 hours later, with time to spare.

When I started watching HIMYM, a couple of years ago, it resonated - there was, and is, a dual, related appeal in its depiction of this certain time of life, in being able to both identify with it and enjoy what is, given its framing premise (ie the title!), the promise of a happy ending, however inevitably digressively arrived at. (And in terms of (relevant) autobiographical note, the show actually did play some part in shaping my ideas of modern romance at the time; during that initial period, I had found myself fairly newly out of a relationship for the first time in a couple of years - although that didn't last, and then that didn't last, and so here we are.)

So anyway, season 7. Which means seven years that the show's been running, both in our time and in its characters' (the two being the same, of course, a fact emphasised by the frequent references to the year, and indeed times of year, when events are transpiring), though of course I was something of a latecomer. A colleague (who I think of as something of a fellow traveller) mentioned to me yesterday that she's having to move out of her apartment - it's being sold - and it popped into my mind when she said it that this kind of mundane, but actually often large-looming, background stuff in our lives doesn't really get much of a guernsey in shows like HIMYM; but now, 24 hours (+/-) and one watching of season 7 on, I wonder if that was actually right. Just because the issues are rendered more colourful and amusing than in real life doesn't mean they're overlooked - which of course is the appeal of all of this kind of tv right there.

In season 7, the focus seems to be less on Ted's search for 'the one', but the show does seem to be moving to tie off some loose ends - albeit none which give any clues to who the 'mother' may ultimately be, given that the show's foreshadowing through the 2030 narration has already made it clear that it can't be anyone already introduced - with the slutty pumpkin turning out to be Katie Holmes and a fizzer chemistry-wise, the door surely being properly shut with Robin, and Victoria reintroduced but surely heading towards some kind of final closure next season on the one who otherwise would've been the one that got away. And structurally, with Marshall and Lily hitting various major milestones and a wedding between Barney and Robin signalled (though we're also told that something will go wrong), you would think that in whatever comes next, the focus will turn back to what is, after all, the underlying narrative thread of the show.

As to volumes or nothing at all - what I mean by that is that I've flown through the season obviously because it speaks to something in my current situation...but it's done that from the start, and it's thoroughly got its hooks into me, so that I do want to find out what happens to all of the characters, irrespective of how immediate its resonance is with whatever my current personal circumstances may be. So, anyway...

(1-5; 6)