Saturday, June 02, 2012

Sam Phillips - Martinis & Bikinis

I haven't seen Stealing Beauty, but I ended up with its soundtrack at some point, and I've listened to it a lot over the years (e.g.). One that's always stood out is Sam Phillips' "I Need Love", a brightly yearnful, jangly, slightly country modern pop tune; somewhere during that distracted period a couple of months ago, I had a High Fidelity moment and came up with a current '200 favourite songs of all time' list - "I Need Love" lodged at #186.

I didn't know before seeing the liner notes for the 1994 album from which it came, Martinis & Bikinis, that it was produced by the estimable T Bone Burnett, and somehow neither had I made the connection between the lyric "I need fire to melt the frozen sea inside me" and that line of Kafka's. Anyhow, the whole album is pretty nice, elegant and just a little bit earthy, highlighted by excellent songwriting. Reference points: Liz Phair (90s model), Aimee Mann, etc.