Tuesday, June 12, 2012

In a possibly dangerous move

...I have just signed up to the iTunes store. Hopefully I can use this for good.

Good = downloading internet-only releases
Also okay = acquiring individual songs that I want to be able to listen to whenever I want but don't think I need the album of (a lot of these may well be because of some kind of sentimental connection from the past) ... obviously this is how they get you, but $2.19 is a small price to pay
Probably okay = albums that I want to listen to instead of buying them from shops (this one remains to be seen)
Not okay = accumulating masses of music that I never get around to listening to (as if I don't have enough of that already)

So far (in order):

* Laura Cantrell - Trains and Boats and Planes (this one is internet-only)
* Bonnie Tyler - "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (you might think that this was somehow ironic, but then you'd be dead wrong)
* Jewel - "Hands", "You Were Meant For Me", "Foolish Games", "Who Will Save Your Soul" (there was a period where all of these songs got played a lot in these parts)
* Don Henley - "The Boys of Summer" (I remember David seeing my winamp playlist, years ago, full of sad girl singers (including some by Jewel, probably) - plus this song...cue mock-masculine "Don Hen-leeeyyy" shaking of the fist)
* Hunters & Collectors - "Holy Grail" & "Throw Your Arms Around Me" (two great songs that I remember fondly from school and probably haven't heard since...I think I actually taped "Holy Grail" off the radio and listened to it on one of those old-fashioned self-made mix tapes!)
* Kendall Payne - "Wonderland" (I think Jade put me onto this melancholy little song and I listened to it quite a bit at the time, I think - it had completely slipped my mind till just now)
* Goo Goo Dolls - "Iris"; Collective Soul - "The World I Know" & "Shine"; Matchbox 20 - "3AM" & "Push"; The Wallflowers - "One Headlight" (a whole lot of 90s rock - I was into all of this stuff at the time, even though my tastes were already heading towards 'alternative' by then)
* Seal - "Kiss From A Rose" (one of those songs that just sinks in deep. When I heard it on the radio - google tells me this must've been around 1995 (year 7/8), and that sounds right - it was lush, mysterious, romantic, different from anything I'd heard before. Good moment around the lunch table at work the other day when it came up on songlines...several people 'ahh'-ing in pleasant recollection)

Anyway, enough for tonight...that became a trip down musical memory lane.