Sunday, August 15, 2010

"let it die"

There was a time when mix cds were really important to me - when they felt like a way of expressing things that couldn't otherwise be externalised. For better or for worse, the intensity of that feeling has since much receded, but I've been reminded of it, a little, by listening to "let it die", which was handed to me the other day with the words "it's a break-up mix cd, but still a mix cd" - or something to that effect. It doesn't hurt that the mix begins with Cyann & Ben's glittering merry-go-round lullaby "I can't pretend anymore", an old mix cd favourite of my own, but mostly it's the sense that the mix really does reflect a feeling, a state of mind - not a particularly happy or positive one, of course, but one that has found expression in a form that still, after all, makes sense to me.