Sunday, April 11, 2010

Margot at the Wedding

Not everyone likes Nicole Kidman, but I reckon she's a good actor, verging on great on her day (also, I like her hauteur); Jennifer Jason Leigh, of course, is consistently dependable and usually brilliant. Margot at the Wedding is really about the interplay between the sisters those two play, Margot and Pauline (their names an odd, and almost certainly unintentional, echo of the Neko Case song "Margaret vs Pauline") - and, to the extent that the distinction's meaningful, more about their interactions rather than their relationship. I like the kind of spiky, cutting, distancingly cool dialogue (the description could apply equally to the film as a while) with which the characters lacerate each other; I'm not sure why. Anyway, I went along with this film easily, but probably wouldn't watch it again; it was something like Rachel Getting Married crossed with Closer, but more oblique and without the punch of either.