Friday, August 22, 2008

"Uncovered" (IMP July 2008)

Covers, of course. Some enticing prospects on the tracklist, but sadly only the first half of the cd works, so I miss out on hearing such intriguing combinations as The Boy Least Likely To doing George Michael's "Faith" (would probably be pretty good), Vampire Weekend teeing off on "Exit Music (For A Film)" (difficult to imagine) and Bright Eyes taking on "Mushaboom" (the mind simply boggles). Still, it makes me happy to've heard Jens Lekman singing "You Can Call Me Al", and anyone who doesn't get at least a bit 'aw shucks' about the prospect of Tegan and Sara covering "Rebel Rebel", well, anyone like that is obviously different from me (though it must be said, the cover itself is pretty average). Also notable: Of Montreal's take on M.I.A.'s "Jimmy" and Ben Folds' "Such Great Heights" - but the unexpected highlight is the Arctic Monkeys' "You Know I'm No Good", though some of that is surely attributable to how great the song itself is (something which hadn't really sunk in till I heard their version of it).

(from Angela in Clarkston, MI)