Sunday, June 29, 2008

"Our Leader"

The main event here was, of course, the Scarlett Johansson cut, "I Don't Want To Grow Up", the first off her Tom Waits cover record that I'd heard - and, let's be honest, it's ghastly. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that she can't sing, but, well, she can't sing - and the electronic musical accompaniment is pretty dire, too...it drags like nobody's business. Elsewhere, there's yet another classy number from the National ("Tall Saint"), two songs which irritate me a lot (Art Brut's "Formed a Band" and the Ting Tings' "That's Not My Name"), a bewildering left turn into southern white boy funk (My Morning Jacket's "Evil Urges", which is fairly horrid though the guitaring near the end saves it a little), an enjoyably gleefully stupid cut from the Rapture ("No Sex For Ben"), a cool as hell throwaway by the Breeders ("Bang On"), and assorted others.

(a mix cd from David)