Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"Nick Cave: The Exhibition" @ the Arts Centre

Liked this, but feel it would have a lot more to offer the genuine hardcore Nick Cave fan than a passer through like myself. That's not to say that his music doesn't loom pretty large for me - there was the No More Shall We Part period and the The Good Son phase, and then there are the heavy associations which come with "The Ship Song" plus moments with many others of his songs (including, recently, "Do You Love Me?"), and of course there's always "Shivers" - but rather that I've never been a lock and stock devotee in the way that he inspires in many. It is pretty neat the way the centre of the room is laid out like Cave's office (and it was interesting to read about the importance of the idea of the office to his creative process/imagination); all up, I think the exhibition gives a pretty good sense of the man, by which, of course, I mean the myth - ie, it was very (latter-day) 'Nick Cave'.