Sunday, October 21, 2007

Control

I read somewhere that the director of Control - Anton Corbijn - is a photographer (fashion? rock and roll? both?) - and it shows, in the way that virtually every shot is framed: that is, like a photograph. The black and white cinematography works well (of course an Ian Curtis biopic must be in black and white), as does the music (the guy playing Curtis - Sam Riley - does a good job with the singing; in fact the performances generally, and especially those of the two leads, are excellent).

I don't know how I would have responded to Control were Joy Division not such a large part of my past (let's not overstate this - their impact wasn't/hasn't been in the same league as Radiohead, say, or the Cure...but it was still big), but I think I still would've responded to it; then again, those very responses have been at least partly wired into me by the band and its music themselves.

It feels like a photograph set to life and music. And it also feels real - like this is how it was.

(w/ David, at a triple j preview screening a couple of weeks ago)