Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Andrew McClelland @ Alley Bar, Friday 20 April

Auspicious beginning when I arrived just after 8pm to meet Swee Leng as planned and found her outside talking to the night's entertainment (they slightly know each other) who guaranteed me a good time (I didn't tell him that I've never paid to see comedy before and was possibly a bit of a sceptic). Still, his promise was fulfilled - I enjoyed the show, based around the theme of "Andrew McClelland's somewhat ambitious plan to make the world a better place" (or words to that effect). Much laughing. Particularly enjoyed the bit where the girl sitting next to me (she looked vaguely familiar, as if we might have met at a party long ago, or perhaps clerked together or something) totally lost it for several minutes. McClelland has a very endearing presence - he's like a giant puppy dog, quite physical and plenty energetic, and his material is good too (though a lot of the charm's in the delivery). It wasn't profound and nor was it meant to be, but it struck me as very solid and well done.