Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Serenity

Goes straight on to my list of funnest sci-fi films (well, there isn't actually any such list, but if I had one, it'd be short - The Fifth Element is the only other that leaps to mind...and I think I enjoyed Lost In Space at the time that it came out). It's cinematic bubblegum but quite meta with it - most notably as evinced by the series of perspective shifts/partial breakings of the fourth wall which go on in the first 20 minutes or so - and unfailingly fast-paced, bright, and snappy. Some of the dialogue and characterisation is very 'tv show' but I didn't mind because it goes with the whole package (although the girl - engineer? - love interest for River's brother irritated me a bit, coming across as a kind of less self-actualised Willow), and it's all briskly and effectively done. And, of course, who could get tired of the spectacle of a slight, diffident, outsider girl type laying waste to a roomful of aggressors with her bare hands?