Sunday, March 26, 2006

David Bader - One Hundred Great Books in Haiku

Really, the title of this book says it all. One hundred classics, mostly but not all from the Western canon, mostly but not all works of prose fiction, distilled into the 5-7-5 structure and usually with a fair degree of irreverence; some of them stick fairly closely to just summarising the original (inasmuch as that's possible with an exercise of this sort), while others insert more explicit contemporary commentary. I started noticing it in bookstores a few months ago, and it has made me laugh plenty...I could never have justified buying the book for myself, but yesterday I picked it up as a gift for a friend and took the opportunity to read it from cover to cover while enjoying a drink in the window of Degraves.

For example:

"The Prince" - Niccolò Machiavelli
What I learned at court:
Being more feared than loved - good.
Getting poisoned - bad.

"Das Kapital" - Karl Marx
October winds blow.
Your contradictions doom you,
capitalist swine.

"Lolita" - Vladimir Nabokov
Lecherous linguist -
he lays low and is laid low
after laying Lo.

"The Metamorphosis" - Franz Kafka
'What have I become?'
Uncertain, Gregor Samsa
puts out some feelers.

"Portrait of a Lady" - Henry James
Will she inherit?
Which suitor will she marry?
When will tea be served?

And three that I like muchly even though I haven't read the books themselves:

"Waiting For Godot" - Samuel Beckett
Act I. 'It's hopeless.
My boots don't fit. Where is God?'
Act II. The same thing.

"The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman" - Laurence Sterne
I've torn out line two.

Reader, it was dull.

"Fathers and Sons" - Ivan Turgenev
A nihilist dies
without having achieved much.
Mission accomplished.