Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Living life like an island/(before it even started)/crowds of people: Soundtrack to the end of the affair

What I'm particularly taking to heart right now:

Natalie Imbruglia - White Lilies Island
Aimee Mann (especially "Stupid Thing")
Neil Young - On The Beach

Natalie. Enough of the "what more did people want from their mainstream pop" already - this is a lovely album on any terms, damnit! Somehow apt that I should've cycled back to liking her again at this stage in my life...maybe a new cycle is about to commence, entropy having set in inescapably with this last some time ago.

Aimee. Still glorious...sometimes she sulks, sometimes she burns.

Neil. After the final Historical Fictions class (Tuesday) - a nice one - myself and a few of the others drifted on to the area outside the postgrad lounge (a regular haunt for me in the last fortnight or so) for a drink and I got into a music talk with Peter, in the course of which he picked out Zuma as his favourite Neil Young album. I responded that On The Beach was mine, and though I don't think I'd really stopped to think about the question before, as intuitions go it was dead on...lately I've found myself listening to the record over and over; particularly feelin' the title track but really it's all quite perfect for my now.