Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Resident Evil

This may seem an unlikely movie for me to have sought out, but in fact I've been intending to watch it for quite a while. It gained a hold over my mind because it seemed to represent the ultimate in mindless, flashy entertainment - and I use that description in a positive rather than pejorative sense. Alas, though, it wasn't particularly good, even when judged purely in those terms - sure, it's based on a video game (an important part of its appeal for me, given what I was looking for from it), but it didn't seem to gel at even a basic level...the action sequences - the raison d'etre of the film (at least on an 'artistic', as opposed to commercial, level) - just weren't all that exciting, the actors didn't make their characters breathe (paper-thin characterisation I expected, but this doesn't have to imply boring acting), and the sets weren't as cool as they ought to've been. Ah well, quel surprise, I suppose...