Friday, April 20, 2007

Raymond E Feist - Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness At Sethanon & Honoured Enemy (with William R Forstchen)

Have read Magician several times since first encounter in primary school (I actually own a copy); the other two in the series probably only once each prior to this time. Went through them quickly, but I don't think I'll be re-reading the series again any time soon - this time, they just seemed a bit bare (even the massive Magician, though that one least so) despite the epic, fate-of-worlds scope. I don't think that I've lost my taste for fantasy, but those tastes have changed and maybe I'm more demanding nowadays.

The other - Honoured Enemy is a full-length novel (though on the short side) and set as an outtake from the Riftwar (ie, during the event of Magician). It's quite fast-paced and narrower in its focus, and reasonably taut, but the writing suffers from the same flaws.