Tuesday, November 22, 2022

"Playlist for Marissa R. Moss' book Her Country"

A proper canon of country music by women, available on spotify as lovingly listed in the book. Across 75 songs and 4 1/2 hours it doesn't falter, with many songs and artists that are part of my personal canon - older and more recent. 

The book already introduced me to the joys of Maren Morris and Mickey Guyton, and prompted me to go back and listen to Same Trailer, Different Park; beyond them, my favourite discoveries are "Harper Valley PTA" (Jeannie C Riley, 1968), "I'm Not Lisa" (Jessi Colter, 1975), "Faraway Look" (Yola, 2019), "Daddy Lessons" (Beyonce, 2018 - one I'd heard before but not paid proper attention to), "You Are My Home" (Amanda Shires, 2016), "You're Not Alone" (Our Native Daughters, 2019), "New Kind of Outlaw" (D'orjay The Singing Shaman, 2020).