Sunday, November 10, 2019

Miranda Lambert - Wildcard

I guess there's a type of Miranda Lambert song that I particularly like - namely the contemporary, glossy country-Americana vein she mined to such good effect on the really excellent The Weight of These Wings, some of which shows up on Wildcard in what are, indeed, my favourites on this new album of hers, which includes "How Dare You Love", "Fire Escape", "Track Record" and probably "Dark Bars" (though that last one, the closer, leans more truly country).

The other I especially like is "Holy Water", which is a bit gospel and a bit blues. The ones that go harder at pop or rock (generally one or the other) are mostly less successful; Kacey Musgraves kind of stitched that one up already, although the most Musgraves-esque song here, "Settling Down", is actually quite good.

The good ones are very good, the others are ok, also it's taught me the phrase 'all hat, no cattle', so chalk that up as a win.