Monday, November 21, 2016

Honeyblood - Honeyblood

Like everyone ever I tend to think that the time that was my formative period had the best music ever, which in my case means the 90s.

Be that as it may, Honeyblood is super-fun to listen to - I went and took a listen because they get compared to that constellation of acts knitted together by Tanya Donelly (Throwing Muses, Belly, the Breeders) which of course is straight into the sweet spot for me, and the comparisons aren't that far off, the fuzzy-guitared melodicism delivered with a declamatory air that's kind of sweetly rockin'.

As was often the case then, and still turns out to be the case now, the ones I like most are often those with a bit of an upwards swerve to them that doesn't quite resolve - the run-home tempo change of "Joey", the steady chug and then bridging meander and climb (as if its ending gets discovered somewhere in the song's mid-section) of "No Spare Key".