Sunday, January 17, 2016

Heather Christle - The Trees The Trees

I've been reading this slim collection for, I think, three or so years now, on and off, and grappled with most of the 58 poems comprising it several times along the way - it's struck a chord, meaning and objects and images and phrases slipping one into each other.

                              THEN WE ARE IN AGREEMENT

                 pick a hand      it has nothing in it      you can keep
                 my hand as long as you need it      you never know
                 what a long day this has turned into     you can say
                 it's only time       but what isn't      maybe if I asked
                 nicely      you would represent me      in court      in
                 the future       in many ways       we are alike      we
                 both have one of my hands     and at least one of us
                 likes it      I won't speak for you      but am honestly
                 waiting         in  hopes that you might  speak for me
                 make statements       deny statements       the vital
                 thing's to make a little noise

(context)