Saturday, May 02, 2015

John Wolseley - "Heartlands and Headwater" (NGV Australia)

When I was younger - much younger - I liked watercolours. Indeed, they were the first method of painting or making art that I remember being specifically aware of. It's tempting to think that it was the blurry dreaminess that drew me, although it's probably just as likely that that's me projecting aesthetic tastes that only became dominant much later in life onto a younger self who was blissfully far more straightforward. Who can say?

Anyhow, that early affection didn't particularly last into adolescence or subsequently, but I was reminded of it by John Wolseley's exhibition, which tackles his broad subject of Australian landcapes and particularly wetlands using watercolours amidst a range of many other things (below - "A Daly River Creek, NT", far from the most diverse, but also taking in pastel, pencil, charcoal, ink and woodcut).


It's a very nice show, unfolding in layers of painting, drawing, collage and assemblage including - entirely aptly - organic material from nature as well as the effects of engagement with nature (eg via frottage).