Friday, January 02, 2015

Noah

Darren Aronofsky has always been a visionary, and all of his films that I've seen have been at least interesting (Pi, The Fountain) and in a couple of cases quite outstanding (Requiem for a Dream, though it's been a long time since I watched that one, Black Swan); I still need to get round to The Wrestler. And there certainly is a vision to his take on the story of Noah and the flood, apparent from the first, technicolour images of snake, apple &c, and even more so in the blasted, apocalyptic (and gorgeous) rendition of the lands through which Moses and his family travel, claimed by the descendants of Cain, not to mention the 'watchers', giant stone-ossified fallen angels, as well as in the human drama that he stages within Noah and across the others.

It holds the attention; I thought it was good, and while obviously I come at it from a particular perspective, it didn't seem to me to be disrespectful of its religious source material, and if anything, while obviously not seeking to be a literal depiction of the Biblical text (whatever that would mean), it struck me as very sincere and earnest in the way it grapples with the core of the questions at its heart.

Also, at 44 - I looked it up - Jennifer Connelly is still strikingly beautiful; at 24, Emma Watson seems oddly young-looking (or maybe I've just lost perspective on ages) ... and, surprisingly, only 4 cm shorter than Connelly. Russell Crowe works, too.