Tuesday, June 03, 2014

The Long Blondes - Someone to Drive You Home

They nail their colours to the mast with the refrain of opening song "Lust in the Movies", a sing-shouted "Edie Sedgwick, Anna Karina, Arlene Dahl - I just want to be a sweetheart" (though I must admit I had to look up Arlene Dahl), which sets the tone for this knowingly retro-modern pop record from a few years back, equal parts Franz Ferdinand, Blondie and latter-day 60s revivalists like the Pipettes and the Like. For me it's kind of a museum piece - I like it plenty but probably there've been times in my past when this one would've felt much more immediate what with its angular guitars, upwardly corkscrewing hooks, slightly punk-ish girl-singer attitude and general stylishly tossed-off Brit-ness.

(I was introduced to the band by the still kind of exciting "You Could Have Both" via an IMP mix cd back in the day.)