Monday, April 01, 2013

Joni Mitchell - Travelogue

I've dipped in and out with Joni Mitchell over the years, which means that this 2002 double cd set of reinterpretations of songs from across her long career, set to an orchestral backing mingles the familiar and the unfamiliar in an additional way for me. Truth be told, I've never taken Mitchell to heart in a concerted way, although there've certainly been times when individual songs or records have been important to me, and maybe that's part of why I find this one pleasant - not in any way jarring - but one that only marks me lightly. I've sometimes wondered in the past if I would get to a point - probably a point in my life rather than specifically in terms of my appreciation of music - when her music would resonate more deeply, if perhaps its subtleties aren't yet fully for me...but that point isn't yet now.