Sunday, December 09, 2012

"Pompeii, L.A." (Malthouse)

I have to say, I haven't found the Malthouse plays that I've been to this year to (collectively) be up to their usual - high - standard...possibly partly a reflection of the last-minute, second half of the season only subscription bit. Having said that, of those that I saw, Declan Greene's "Pompeii, L.A." yesterday was the stand out (I was similarly impressed by his "Moth"). There's more than a hint of Mulholland Drive - of Lynch generally - to its rendition of the internal apocalypse of the Hollywood dreaming that is its subject; a a highlight was the production's bold, fluid theatrical confidence, including a set design that finds room, between its two acts (the first a vivid fragmentation of scenes and identities, the second a hospital-room crawl towards death), for the towing of a battered red sports car out the back of the Merlyn theatre.

(w/ Steph C, Julian, Jarrod + friend (Larissa?), and Cass)