Sunday, August 05, 2012

"Light Works" (NGV)

I find myself in the NGV a lot (usually the international), and particularly when, like at the moment, I'm feeling a bit weightless - it's one of my favourite places, a space where I can go to feel away from everything, surrounded by familiarity and newness, often in the same piece of art. "Light Works" is a small exhibition in the small level 3 gallery space, focusing on the importance of light to photography; highlights are two large, moody twilight/evening cloud Bill Henson landscapes, a pair of "Star Drawing" photos by David Stephenson (which I've seen before, in a 'weather' ex a few years back, but hadn't been as struck by that previous time) that also invoke a sense of the sublime, and "Trace" by Park Hong-Chun, dock, flat, still water, sky - pink, salmon, apricot hues.