Friday, May 11, 2012

Sundowner (Kage - Arts Centre)

Sundowner's syndrome is a syndrome involving particular disorientation, erratic behaviour, mood variation, etc during the evening hours from sundown in people suffering from dementia - eg when suffering from Alzheimer's - and while I hadn't heard of it before, it's something that interests me, as I do tend to be drawn to snippets about dementia and loss of mental faculties...it's not something that particularly preoccupies me, but at least since early university, and probably earlier, the prospect has haunted me just a little bit, at intervals, a kind of premature darkening and death.

This production, a piece of dance theatre, I suppose, is an allusive, sometimes slightly mawkish, occasionally poignant evocation of the experience of Sundowner's, and dementia more generally, bound up with some subtle human drama. It's poetic in moments, the interpretive dance functioning well in its figuration of the theatre of the central figure's mind (the use of the back of stage area for some of the dance, behind a thin curtain, worked well), and while I didn't personally feel that it went anywhere particularly profound or unusual, nor was it unengaging or uninteresting.

(w/ Wei, Ash, Meribah)