Saturday, September 24, 2011

Comic Book Tattoo

A big (30 x 30cm, and thickish) book of short comic narratives, each inspired by a Tori Amos song; there are 51 in all, most around a dozen pages long, and each with a different writer and illustrator. The brief was for the artists to create something reflecting or expressing how the song made them feel, rather than attempting a literal rendition of the song itself or its lyrics (whatever that would mean).

I must admit, I skimmed through it a bit, and not many stuck with me. I liked the whimsy of "Caught a Lite Sneeze" (Mike Maihack) and the heftier, more substantial "Winter" (John Ney Rieber / Ryan Kelly), also the amusingly inverted "Leather" (John Bivens) and the dreamy, actually moving take on "I can't see New York" (Adisakdi Tantimedh / Ken Meyer Jr); I also thought that the gentle "Pretty Good Year" (Derek McCulloch / Colleen Doran) almost exactly caught the tone of the song.

Also, along with this piece, it made me want to go back and listen to her back catalogue again.