Monday, October 12, 2009

David Sedaris - When You Are Engulfed In Flames

A collection of mostly brief, anecdotal pieces which are ostensibly scenes from Sedaris's life but which I suspect have been slightly embellished in places, mostly fairly light - in the vein of observational humour - but grounded; it's sometimes hilarious (though not as frequently as I'd expected), at times touched lightly with sadness, and always readable...possibly this was just me seeing what I expected to see, but I was left with the impression that, partly as a matter of subject matter, but more particularly in terms of tone, this was a book that might particularly strike a chord with gay men, though its appeal evidently isn't in any sense limited to that demographic and I'd struggle to really explain that impression. Anyway, it was both diverting and occasionally thought-provoking; I think I might read some more of his stuff.