Thursday, June 18, 2009

Je Suis Animal @ Northcote Social Club, Wednesday 17 June

Yesterday, wondering if there were any interesting shows coming up, I was browsing the usual haunts' websites, and the description of Je Suis Animal on the NSC's gig list for that night caught my eye; among other things, it went, "attracting comparisons to C-86, My Bloody Valentine, Stereolab and Nico"...these are a few of my favourite things. (Two girls from Norway, two boys from England - didn't hurt.)

So I thought I'd check them out, and I'm glad I did - they were pretty good. None of those four comparisons are miles off the mark; left to my own devices, I probably would've come up with some kind of Lush + the Concretes description, which I suppose is in much the same ballpark. The C-86 influence isn't negligible, though their sound is a bit fuller, and a bit crashier; the songs are colourful and engaging, if not especially memorable twenty-four hours on.

Supports Zebra and the Crayon Fields, both nice but, again, neither memorable. (The Crayon Fields were much better the last time I saw them, though admittedly that was under quite different circumstances.)

(w/ M and Ruth)