Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Scarlett Thomas - Monkeys with Typewriters

I do love Scarlett Thomas - even if much of that really arises from just two of her novels in that genius one-two of PopCo and The End of Mr Y- and, more than that, I admire the effect that she creates through her writing, which is distinctively contemporary and arises from something different than mood (not that mood is something to be taken for granted), which was enough to cause me to overcome my disinterest in 'how to write' books and work through Monkeys with Typewriters. (If whatever she's doing is working for her, maybe it'll also work for me.)

It was worth it, too, going through theories and types of narrative and plot - covering the Greeks (especially Aristotle), Propp and others - as well as practical advice on a series of topics all very relevant to me (how to have ideas, styles of narration, characterisation, writing a good sentence, beginning to write a novel).