Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Django Unchained

Not quite the awesome experience I'd thought it might be, though actually really pretty much the film I'd expected, so perhaps there was a disconnect there. Good, though - I tend to like most kinds of take on the western, and a blaxploitation-edged Tarantino take was always a solid proposition. Along with the western-ness and the usual extreme heightened drama plus quality soundtrack, Christoph Waltz's dentist bounty hunter a highlight.

(w/ David)

* * *

I have to say, while this is possibly a bit of a superficial choice, the two Kill Bill films are almost certainly my favourite Tarantinos. But then again, it's been a long time since I saw Reservoir Dogs, and Pulp Fiction is one of those that it's hard to see properly nowadays owing to its aura (like looking at the Mona Lisa). Also, possibly I'm still not old enough - and, possibly, never will be - to get the most out of Jackie Brown.